Basic skills statement
At Holmbush Primary Academy we believe that the acquisition of basic skills is the foundation of all learning and that it is the responsibility of all staff to improve basic skills. The school is committed to maintaining and enhancing Literacy and Numeracy throughout the school by:
- Following the structure of the National Curriculum
- Using our Progression in GPS document and fluency objectives to focus learning on basic skills for all children
- Enriching the curriculum with visitors to the school, trips outside the school, Holmbush University lessons, stunning starts and fantastic finishes
- Using ICT and other subject areas to practise and enhance Literacy and Numeracy
- Encouraging and providing staff development in all areas of Literacy and Numeracy through a focused and pertinent CPD programme
- Providing and continuing to purchase quality and suitable resources
- Placing a strong emphasis on Quality First teaching and learning through the school policy and through regular monitoring by the Senior Leadership Team and subject leaders
- Monitoring teaching and learning to provide feedback to bring about improvement and celebrate success
- Developing a structured system to plan, evaluate and assess teaching and learning in order to monitor progress and raise standards
- Ensuring the school’s assessment and marking policies are used effectively to involve pupils in self assessment and target setting
- Involving governors and parents in developments and standards achieved
- Providing support and information to parents about basic skills and how they can help their children.
Additional information about the curriculum can be obtained from your child’s class teacher.
Visitors, visits and a range of well-attended clubs contribute effectively to pupils' enjoyment of the curriculum.