At Holmbush we are running ‘Forest Schools’ and ‘Brilliant Beach’ learning experiences which are attended by all our children in KS1 and KS2 at different times during the school year.
We provide opportunities for all children to experience a broad curriculum in a woodland environment and a beach setting as a regular part of their normal school life. Forest Schools will take place in the conservation area within the school grounds. Brilliant Beach will take place on Kingston Beach. We believe that this is an excellent way to support and enrich the National Curriculum.
Children are offered regular opportunities to appreciate, enjoy and learn from the outdoor environment. Through a series of engaging tasks and experiences, the children will experience nature at first hand. Forest Schools and Brilliant Beach sessions will bring learning to life. Through the opportunities offered, children will be able to initiate learning and make choices. The emphasis will be on enabling the children to find out things for themselves and beach and woodland sessions will value and encourage independence, enhancing self-confidence and self-esteem.
Our learning at the beach or in the woodland always begins with activities and games to help the children become comfortable and confident in the new environment.
- Field studies activities such as mini beast hunting or rock pooling
- Sensory activities such as games to do with touch or sound
- Bushcraft activities such as shelter building and fire lighting
- Crafts such as creating jewellery from natural finds or building sculptures
- Team building and trust games
- Physical play
We will go out in all weathers, exploring the environments and learning from a constantly changing outdoor classroom. As such, children will need to dress appropriately. It is worth remembering that even on sunny days, the woodland area can be shady and cool and the sea breezes can make the beach feel quite chilly. Layers are essential.
- Wellington boots/sturdy shoes
- Warm socks
- Layers for the top of the body, depending on the weather - Vest - T-shirt - Fleece/sweatshirt/jumper
- Jacket/waterproof coat
- Woolly hat/sunhat